Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

We have an etching problem on a well water system which is…

We have an etching problem...
We have an etching problem on a well water system which is filtered and maintained. In dishwashing the glassware get lines
on them - circular lines which are etched in to the glass. Is this iron in the water, what is in the water that is doing this? Is it
in the plumbing? Can iron or lead build up or deposit in areas so there are places releasing gunk like little islands of build up
and it swirls in the dishwasher? Is normal maintenance through filtration enough, is there another specialty that would work
better, or are some filters ineffective? If it is present can it be fixed just by changing filtration? If not too much how does the
contaminant content in well water compare to public water, is it the same everywhere? Is that what causes the buildup, and
would that relate to a brown buildup on the lower part of the kitchen sink drain, then why not the bathroom? Please explain.
Like how contaminants work and if the plumbing or plumber or filter person has to be an expert, are most good?
2/17/2018
Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber

Hi, I'm Mike and I have 20+ years of experience as a plumber. I'll be glad to assist you today.

There are many different contaminants that it could not be determined the filter system needed without testing the water. Have you tested the water at all to see what may be in it?

With a well system you should get used to testing the water yourself yearly. There could be bacteria in the water or other contaminants. Often this can be dealt with by shocking the well. Hardness of the water could be an issue. Hard water could cause scale buildup. Old galvanized water pipes could also be an issue. There is a test kit for about $30 at Lowes and Home Depot that would tell you a lot. You could also be getting stains from an old water heater that is full of sediment and needing to be flushed. You could need a filter, water softener, water line replacement, water heater flush, anode rod replacement or an extensive water filter system.

Really there is so much about this that it is quite hard to type it out. Possibly you would want to have a phone conversation about it?

It was tested and found to be bacteria free. Do the standard tests, this was standard testing, catch everything?
We have worked with a well water filtration company on this. Should we look for a plumber? Do they standard
go through all the things or do we need to ask them what you have said here?

I am not really sure what would be considered a standard test. Were there any other results to the test? Hard or soft water etc.? There should be another 30 or so things that are tested for. Still typing....

It was their standard thing they recommend, seemed to be O.K. on all tests, bacteria and maybe iron, they found
a new filter was needed.
Oh, and is your answer the complete problem? Not much else to do then? This is helpful - thank you.

I wouldn't suggest getting a company to do anything at this point. You can do the foot work yourself by getting the test kit and doing the water test yourself. It will determine who to call depending on what type of service is needed. click here

can you list those or how to find them? You can tell I have not had luck with this...

Sorry, I am about 2 responses behind....not so swift at the typing.

Do you want to just talk about it on the phone? If you accept the offer then follow the directions I think I can relay more info over the phone.

What gets to the other 30 things? A standard visit or just explaining to a plumber?
Thank you.

Did you see the link I sent for the test kit?

This kit does not test for the other things you mentioned.
I did.
after that, what else to do?

No it does not test the hardness of water. You can get a free hardness test strip at most Lowes and Home Depots. If you do the phone call offer it will be clearer. There are a lot of details that get missed in the text.

What is the cost of the phone call?
Details are good...

It should be stated in the offer. Did you see it earlier?

Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber
I see it now.

Most excellent. Calling in about 2 minutes.....