Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

There is a toilet in my house that will not stop running. It…

There is a toilet in...
There is a toilet in my house that will not stop running. It has enough water to do full flushes, but you can always hear the sound of it filling up a little. When I removed the lid to the tank, I pulled up the metal rod that the plastic floater is attached to. When I did that, I heard the toilet stop filling up.What is wrong with my toilet and what is the part that needs to be replaced?
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/9/2018
WCohn
WCohn, Journeyman Plumber

My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

In order for me to determine what the cause is I need you to do a test

Put 6-8 drops of blue food coloring in the tank. If after 20 minutes there is blue water in the bowl then it’s a bad flapper or canister gasket. If the water in the bowl doesn’t change color replace the fill valve.

How’d it go?

I'm still at work right now. I will let you know how the test goes tonight.
I didn't have food coloring but I had some blue paint I mixed with the water and within 1-2 minutes it was already completely blue in the bowl.

Sorry for the delay. Describe the inside of the tank. Does it have a flapper or canister.

This is a random image I found on google. My toilet looks EXACTLY like this one 100%http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_p-WTsj6n62A/SXHmRu1t7mI/AAAAAAAAAX0/2AHV_F-O034/s400/toilet_tummy_in_tank.jpg
The only difference is that it doesn't have the plastic bag hanging off of the side.

I would replace the toilet. That system is terrible. However you can rebuild it as well and replace the bad parts. I’ll upload a link to a replacement kit. It’s a total rebuild

Please leave a five star rating

How'd it turn out for you?

Replacing the entire toilet would be impractical because the house I live in is going into foreclosure and I'm not going to do that level of upkeep for a house that isn't going to belong to my family in the future.Does every part of the toilet actually HAVE to be replaced? Or could a partial rebuild stop the constant running?I'm not interested in doing any phone calls.

It’s the tank to bowl gasket as well as the flush valve that you wanna replace. But the parts are cheaper as a kit. And the others are easier to replace while you are at it.

Remember to rate me

WCohn
WCohn, Journeyman Plumber