Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

Just purchsed 2 faucets # 10270-4-CP and had them installed…

Customer Question
Just purchsed 2 faucets...

Just purchsed 2 faucets # 10270-4-CP and had them installed by a licensed plumber.Apparently he did not remove areator on one faucet to wash out left over meatal slivers from mfging process.Now I get leakage from aireator on that one faucet. Tried tightening up but it still leaks when turned on.,need a new aireator.

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

It is a new faucet,been leaking ever since it was installed several days ago.Tried to buy a new aireator but plumbing supplysend to get in touch with you and you would send me a new one.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

YES

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No,think problem was not flushing the aireator in the first place

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Plumbing
1/8/2018
Plumber: David Bowden, General Contractor replied 6 months ago
David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor

Here is a link to the faucet and the Kohler replacement parts catalog, see page 9 for the Forte 10270-4-CP faucet and the corresponding part number(###) ###-#### (1.5 gpm) for the aerator.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/KOHLER-Forte-4-in-Centerset-2-Handle-Low-Arc-Water-Saving-Bathroom-Faucet-in-Polished-Chrome-with-Sculpted-Lever-Handles-K-10270-4-CP/100021531

Here is the link to order a replacement aerator if you need one, providing your local home improvement store does not have it in stock, KOHLER.com/ServiceParts.

Before doing this you may want to remove the aerator, clean it out really well, make sure the O-ring is seated properly and gently reinstall it without over tightening it as that tends to squeeze the O-ring too much and create leaks. If that doesn't work I would apply a few wraps of Teflon Tape on the threads and try again and see if that resolves the problem. It is not uncommon for aerators to get bent when being installed, especially if a wrench or pliers are used to tighten it, as they tend to get egg shaped and leak.