Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

I am trying to defrost what appears to be frozen cold water…

Customer Question
I am trying to...

I am trying to defrost what appears to be frozen cold water line upstairs. I have turned heat up and heat lamps on in both bathrooms, and I have been running hot water through both faucets with the cold sides turned on. I just checked on progress and found hot water coming out at some pressure from the cold side in one bathroom and hot water dripping out of the other.

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

Since this morning, no cold water upstairs after extreme cold last 24 hrs

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Not sure

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

??

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Plumbing
1/6/2018
Plumber: Rick, Construction Supervisor replied 6 months ago
Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Not much more you can do aside from leaving the faucet open (opening the hot doesn't help except to keep that from freezing). If you leave the house or go to sleep with the pipe frozen then turn the water main off. Otherwise it's a waiting game unless you want to call a plumber who has a pipe thawing machine (doesn't work on plastic pipes).

Why would hot be coming out of the cold side with pressure?

Probably bypassing through the faucet.

More importantly it comes out of cold side in kids bathroom when hot is running in master and vice versa

Still likely bypassing through a faucet. No other likely explanation

Ok, does that mean the block is below where the lines split?

Probably but no way for me to know for sure without seeing the piping layout.

Also toilet that was not working is now refilling

Sounds like your efforts are working out. Keep at it and the rest may thaw before long

Where would cold lines and hot lines connect? Two different bathrooms hot comes out of cold in one room when hot is turned on in other.

There's no way I can know that. Every house is piped differently at the discretion of the plumber