Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

We just installed a Rheem XE40M06ST5U01 40 gal hot water…

Customer Question
We just installed a...

We just installed a Rheem XE40M06ST5U01 40 gal hot water heater 2 days ago. We turned the water temp all the way up and it's only staying hot for about 5min. What could be causing this

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

We've had it 2 days and it's been going on since it was hooked up. It's pretty important since the water gets cool after 5 min of 1 person using it.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes if possible

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It's a electric water heater

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Plumbing
1/4/2018
Plumber: Phil, Mechanical Engineer. replied 6 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer.

Hello, if your shower flow rate is at 4 gallons per minute, then the hot water in the tank will be half mixed with the cold water coming into that tank in 5 minutes, This *could* be the problem.

Run the kitchen hot tap into a 1 gallon container at rate that fills the container every 60 seconds, and tell me how long that hot water lasts...this will tell us a lot about the situation.

We can go from there without any time limits

.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

The kitchen faucet got very hot,hotter than the shower has. My daughter is at home and I'm messaging her and you back and forth.
what's next

Thanks, ***** ***** have a single handle temperature controlled shower valve it might need a new cartridge.

.

Meantime I need to know how long the kitchen hot tap runs when you have it adjusted to fill a one gallon container in one minute... you can stop the test after 15 minutes, that will tell me what I need to know... (you will be wasting hot water, but not more than 50 cents worth for this test).

We can go from there