Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

Purchased a new electric water heater from Ferguson, had it…

Customer Question
Purchased a new electric...

Purchased a new electric water heater from Ferguson, had it installed by an experienced contractor, followed regular install instructions re: electrical, water in before restart and valve procedures. Unfortunately, we are getting only minimal warm water for only a few minutes despite the high temperature settings. Had installer recheck all requirements and still not working properly.

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

Purchased on the 2nd, install yesterday, only getting minimal warm water. Unable to shower, wash clothes etc. talked with Ferguson rep and they referred me to you.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I'll have install person do it if needed.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Just want it to work as expected for a brand new heater.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Plumbing
1/4/2018
Plumber: Phil, Mechanical Engineer. replied 6 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer.

Hello, so far it sounds like the hot water outlet on the water heater was connected to the cold water line coming in to the top of the water heater, and the hot water out pipe was connected to IN connection on the water heater.

Thats backwards if that was how it was installed. Look that over.

.

We can go from here without a time limit,

.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

No that's not the issue. Those are hooked up correctly. Because of the short term warm water only I think it may be the bottom element is faulty. Who fixes that and who pays for that?
This is unacceptable. Bradford White has to do better than this.

Hello again, you have reached Just Answer, we answer technical questions world wide with over 11,000 experts on line. We are not associated with any manufacturer.

I myself an 77 years old with 58 years in the business. I answer technical questions here and solve those problems for over 8,700 customers so far with a 98,4% positive rating... and I can help you.

The first step however, in my 58 years experience is to make sure the water heater is plumbed correctly, if it is... then we use a clamp around type amp meter to see of both heating elements are drawing amperage or not... and we go from there accordingly.

Let me know if you wish to continue with me or not, we can go from there without a time limit including coaching on how to deal with defective products

No thanks.
Plumber: David Bowden, General Contractor replied 6 months ago
David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor

D​o you have a voltage tester? If so the 2 things to verify is that the thermostat has not tripped and needs to be reset, if that is not the problem then you need to make sure you have 240v coming in and then 240 volts along the upper thermostat followed by 240v to the heating element. If you have those voltages then we can focus on the lower thermostat and element. In order to have sufficient hot water both elements need to be on.