Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

I have a Rinnai hot water heater. It is extremely cold where…

Customer Question
I have a Rinnai...

I have a Rinnai hot water heater. It is extremely cold where we are. The Rinnai is acting up. The LED reads 140 and then flashes beeps loudly and then reads 32 degrees. The beeping doesn't stop until we reset it. When we reset it the Rinnai repeats this "cycle" .

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

It just started about 45 minutes ago. It's in a restaurant environment; we have never had this problem. It's the coldest night we have had in 28 years. It's 26 degrees and dropping. (Charleston, SC)

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Not really. Basically we want to know if we should just turn it off until a technician can come examine it. It's gas so we don't want to burn the place down or cause the pipes around the Rinnai to freeze.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No. Not at this time.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Plumbing
1/2/2018
Plumber: Machinc, General Contractor replied 7 months ago
Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor
You can turn it off .
If it is in a room (utility room ) and you can do something to warm up the room safely you can try that . If it is in a area that is normally warm then you probably have ice in the line coming from outside .
More in a moment...
For now shut it down and call for service.
Charleston is going to be cold for quite a few more days . You need to make sure this is not going to happen again so call now.
Plumbers are going to be very busy for the next few weeks.
The other pipes are going to do whatever do don’t worry about shutting it down .