Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

I have a few questions about a water heater and expansion…

Customer Question
I have a few questions...
I have a few questions about a water heater and expansion tank. Is it required? How do you know how big to get if so? Should you just replace the one you have or just the water heater? Does the degree play any thing to do with what we need to get if needed? Do you need to replace the water heater too? Its over 9 years old. May need help in some others.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Plumbing
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/31/2017
Plumber: Daniel Plourde, Plumber replied 7 months ago
Daniel Plourde

HI I AM DAN I CAN HELP YOU WITH THIS. FIRST DO YOU CURRENTLY HAVE AN EXPANSION TANK AND WHAT KIND OF WATER HEATER DO YOU HAVE?

Electric water heater 50 gallon We do currently have an expansion tank it has a pin hole in it

DO YOU HAVE A PRESSURE REDUCING VALVE ON YOUR MAIN WATER SUPPLY BY THE METER OR A CHECK VALVe INSTALLED INTO THE COLD WATER MAIN OR INLET TO THE WATER HEATER?

main line coming in

BASICALLY IS THERE ANY DEVICE INSTALLED BETWEEN THE WATER METER AND THE INLEY OF THE VATER HEATER

its under the house where the main line comes in

IF YOU HAVE A PRESSURE REDUCING VALVE OR CHECK VALVE IN YOUR MAIN WATER LINE THEN YOU DO NEED AN EXPANSION TANK. SINCE YOU ALREADY HAVE ONE I WOULD RECOMMEND GETTING THE SAME SIZE TANK. IF THE EXPANSION TANK IS THE ONLY PROBLEM YOU CAN JUST REPLACE IT AND DO NOT NEED TO REPLACE THE WATER HEATER

IF YOU HAVE ANY MORE QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS PLEASE LET ME KNOW OR IF THIS HAS HELPED YOU I WOULD APPRECIATE IT IF YOU COULD RATE ME ON MY SERVICE BY SELECTING ONE OF THE 5 STARS ON YOUR PAGE SO WE MAY CLOSE THIS QUESTION.