Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

I have two Rinnai direct venting heaters in VT. At times of…

Customer Question
I have two Rinnai...

I have two Rinnai direct venting heaters in VT. At times of extremely cold exterior air temps (-10-20) the intake portion of the ENT will plug from the exhaust vapors (h2o product of combustion) if sheltered from possible snow drifts. Is there a way of insulating the pipe or some other method of preventing this?

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

Very rare as temps are usually not as severe. I have removed the snow drift protection and presently it's working fine after cleaning the intake slot. The box around the exhaust was 4' X 2' x2' with sloths for vapor to escape.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Likely will use a Rinnai dealer if it is too involved for me..( I did build the house but am not a pro)

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

That's about it...located in Northern Vermont.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Plumbing
12/29/2017
Plumber: Brian Weeks, Plumber replied 7 months ago
Brian Weeks
Brian Weeks, Plumber
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will assist. Rinnai does make there own vent pipe that handles cold weather, but I cannot say it is any better than what you currently are using. I would recommend you have a Rinnai dealer look at this system and adjust the design for the weather so no mistakes are made that could void warranty or cause damage.