Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

The flush valve on my American standard toilet makes a high…

Customer Question
The flush valve on...

The flush valve on my American standard toilet makes a high pitch sound.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

A week.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If simple enough.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

When I touch the flush valve the sound stops

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Plumbing
12/28/2017
Plumber: David Bowden, General Contractor replied 3 months ago
David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor

T​he high pitch squeal comes from the water pressure being reduced through the flush valve diaphram. As the water fills inside the tank, the valve slowly closes until it seals 100%. Over time these flush valves tend not to seal like they did when new. Part of this is caused by the valve wearing out, or in many cases the water level is too high and is allowed to spill over into the overflow tube. If the water level is too high the valve will never close 100%. If you have a Ballcock/Float type flush valve, simply bending the float downward a little more will usually solve this problem for awhile. If the valve is wearing out, it is time to replace it, I usually recommend installing a Fluid Master type flush valve as they are much better at filling the tank faster and shutting the water off completely.

Greetings… Just following up to see if you were still needing some help answering your question?

Thanks,

Dave

As of this posting I have not been able to locate any additional information on this specific issue, and since I have not received any reply or feedback from the recommendations I mentioned above, I trust they have been helpful in resolving this problem. However, if you are still needing additional assistance, please let me know by using the reply box below, otherwise I will proceed in closing out this question.

Thank you,

Dave

Hello...

I am not sure if you have been receiving my follow up messages regarding this question however, if you would be so kind as to please respond and let me know if the information I provided initially was helpful or if you still require some assistance, I would sincerely ***** ***** that way I can either continue helping you or forward this to customer support for further processing.

Thank you very much,

Dave

Hello... I would very much appreciate if you can take a few moments and reply to this email and let me know if you still require assistance, or should I proceed forward to closing out this question since it has been open for so long.

Thank you,

Dave

Plumber: David Bowden, General Contractor replied 2 months ago

Hello... As part of our continuous follow up procedures, every open question requires it to be closed out once it has gone past a reasonable time, and that the expert has provided an answer that should have helped resolve your question. This can be done simply by completing the 5 Star Rating once it appears. If you still require assistance or have additional questions, you can let the expert know by replying to this posting that you still need their advice and recommendations.

Thank you,

Dave

Plumber: David Bowden, General Contractor replied 1 month ago

Your assistance is needed... A​s of today this question is almost 60 days old and based on the nature of the problem along with the recommendation that were provided, I would like for us to close out this question, however to do that it requires a rating by you as explained below.

Please note that the rating is only based on the experts attempt to resolve the problem. If you feel a credit or refund is applicable, please contact customer service directly as the experts are not authorized to handle these matters.

One of the goals here at Just Answer, is to provide each customer with the best experience possible and for the experts to earn a 5 Star Rating based on their responses, recommendations, and professionalism, when answering questions. If I have achieved that goal for this question, please take a few moments to rate my service and select the 5 Stars before logging out.

​Thank you very much for your assistance with this, I sincerely ***** *****

Dave

If you could please respond and let me know if you still need assistance or if I can proceed in closing out this question, I would sure appreciate it as it is several months old.

Thanks

Dave

Plumber: David Bowden, General Contractor replied 3 days ago

Greetings...

I was reviewing my open questions and noticed this one has not been rated yet. If you could take a couple of moments and complete the 5 Star Rating which will close out the question I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Dave

David Bowden
David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor