Plumbing

Plumbing Questions? Ask a Plumber and Get Answers ASAP.

Plumbing

Hot water issues in both showers (single handle), bathroom…

Customer Question
Hello - Hot water...

Hello - Hot water issues in both showers (single handle), bathroom sinks, and kitchen (single handle). We replaced both showers with full cartridge kit. Issue still persist - Super recommends we replace cartridge in Kitchen sink - Does this sound right?

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

Few months - problem getting worse and worse. hot water inconsistent - really hot then cold or have to turn handle in shower all the way up - or need to run water for extended period before water gets hot. Make note - we live in apt complex - building super confirmed the issue is not coming from building,

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I had plumber replace shower cartridges in both showers. I will have them come back out for Kitchen sink - if this is the issue.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that I can think of. Building super believes strongly that the issue is caused by faulty cartridge in either showers (replaced) or the kitchen sink.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Plumbing
12/27/2017
Plumber: Rick, Construction Supervisor replied 1 month ago
Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can

continue our conversation.

Does the same thing happen in bathroom sinks?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
but bathroom sinks have been more consistent than the showers and kitchen sink. Bathrooms are also double handle.

Sounds like a building problem to me no matter what the super claims. But is sounds like you'll need to replace the kitchen faucet or turn it off under the sink to prove to him his claim is false.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I agree with this logic. However, he has stated that if it was an issue with the building other units would be experiencing the same problem - currently I am the only one.

His claim has no merit if that's his only proof. So if you do what he says (or shut the kitchen off under the sink) he'll have no choice but to confront his error. This is not uncommon in multi-unit buildings and typically is way beyond the expertise of a super to resolve.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Since the shower cartridges have been replaced and I shut off the water to the kitchen sink (both valves under sink) and I still am not getting hot water to flow correctly in showers or bathroom sinks - the issue points more toward the building? Or could the issue be that the kitchen sink needs a new cartridge?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I guess I am wondering is there truth to faulty cartridges as the cause to hot water issues? And simply we don't know which one is broken so we replace all of them?

With the kitchen shut off you've eliminated that possibility. Faulty new cartridges are extremely unlikely. You've done what the super said It's time to press him on another fix.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Understood. Could a faulty pressure balancing cartridge in the kitchen sink cause hot water issues through out the entire apt?

The kitchen does not have a pressure balancing cartridge.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Koher single handle does have a cartridge?

All single handle faucets have a cartridge. Only shower valves are pressure balancing

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok so then is it possible the cartridge in the kitchn sink be causing the issue? Given the fact the showers have been replaced

Not possible since you shut the kitchen off under the sink and the problem persists. With the water off to the faucet it is impossible for it to have any impact on anything

Rick
Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor