Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

We have no water to the bathroom on the main level and only…

Customer Question
We have no water...

We have no water to the bathroom on the main level and only cold to the sink/toilet. The rest of the house is fine in terms of pressure and temperature.

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

Today

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Not sure

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Plumbing
12/27/2017
Plumber: Brian Weeks, Plumber replied 6 months ago
Brian Weeks
Brian Weeks, Plumber
Hello my name is ***** ***** I can assist you. Can you tell me more about your plumbing system and house. Is this a two story house?
It is a story and a half. Finished basement, ground floor upstairs master bedroom.

Do you have isolation valves on the system between floors, also does the bathroom on the main level have toilet. shower and sink? Are all the fixtures in that bathroom receiving no water? Sorry for all the questions but I am trying to understand your system.

This might be easier with a phone conversation and we can walk thru the system together.

I'm not sure if there are isolation valves between floors, but I suspect not as the house was built in the 1950s (though the plumbing was replumbed last summer). On the ground floor there is water that goes to the kitchen faucet/dishwasher/ice machine (which is right about the utility room with the hot water heater). Then the water lines travel through the ceiling through the joists in the basement and there is a basement bathroom and a bathroom on the main floor right about it. There is currently water to the kitchen, basement bathroom that has both cold and hot water and appropriate temperature. There is cold water to the first floor bathroom sink, but no hot. Good pressure on the cold. Nothing when we turn the faucet to hot. The toilet flushes. There is neither hot nor cold water to the tub. We suspected a line freeze but the house has been warmed to over 80 degrees for 6 hours with no change to the status of things.

That is sounding like a possible line freeze. I would recommend leaving the fixtures that have no water open as when the pipes thaw the water will expand and crack the pipe, but an open line will allow the water to move and help avoid that problem. What type of piping was installed during the repipe? Also was the pipe protected for the weather with insulation? The last thing is normal debris could be clogging the fixtures. This could happen on the hot side of the sink, but the tub is what is making me think you have a line freeze as well since it is unlikely both sides would be clogged from debris.

What type of tub shower faucet do you have?