Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

I have had two different plumbers replace my hot, cold and…

Customer Question
Hi, i have had...

Hi, i have had two different plumbers replace my hot, cold and diverter stems and the whole system there - but my shower is still fluctuating in temperature

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Since august

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

At this point, yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I'm in a building, on the 4th floor when i run the water to the tub it's fine (zero temperature fluctuation) when i run the shower it runs super hot, (for about a second - maybe two) and then occasionally goes cold as well (again for 1-2 seconds) not long lived here for years, never had this issue before

Contractor's Assistant: Have you talked to a construction professional about the floor?

No just a plumber

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Plumbing
12/26/2017
Plumber: Rick, Construction Supervisor replied 6 months ago
Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can

continue our conversation.the only way to get a constant temp is to install a new pressure balancing shower valve/faucet. Any time any water is run anywhere in the building the water temp will fluctuate with a 2/3 handle valve. Changing the stems does nothing to resolve this issue.

Sorry for the delayed response, I was out of town... I had the same type of setup before the stems were changed, lived there for 3yrs, and never had any issues with temperature fluctuations... So why did this start happening all of a sudden? (does that make any sense?)

I can't say what has changed since I have no idea what the history of the building is. All I can tell you is that ~30 years ago plumbing codes started to require pressure balancing valves in shower because of this problem and to mitigate potential scalding risk.

Sorry, i'm in an old building - trying to figure out how to work with that i have without major replacements/changes... I dont disagree with what you're saying per se... I was just looking for different kind of help