Plumbing

Plumbing Questions? Ask a Plumber and Get Answers ASAP.

Plumbing

Just installed a new gas water heater. Now I have no hot…

Customer Question
Just installed a new gas...
Just installed a new gas water heater. Now I have no hot water upstairs but the downstairs works perfectly. Any ideas? All we did was replace the water heater and put everything (meaning shutoff valves) back the way they were before we started. I have checked and rechecked everything but nothing is wrong and we did not change anything in the house.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Plumbing
If it helps, the model# ***** *****
12/24/2017
Plumber: Phil, Mechanical Engineer. replied 2 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer.

Hello, in some very unusual piping arrangements a second story system can become air locked if the system was drained prior to installing the new water heater.

Open the highest hot water tap on the second floor, usually the shower, and tell me if you get water flow when set on cold water, and if you get any air out of the line when you set it on on hot water.

We can go from there

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

We get water flow on both hot and cold but the water is the same temp on both... cold. No air with just the hot tap or shower on... just cold water.

Thanks, ***** ***** usually caused by a bad cage inside a single handle shower valve... try one of the upstairs sink faucets, Moen brand shower valves can also bypass the hot to cold water even in nearby sinks when the cage inside goes bad.

Look that over, try exercising the single handle water temperature control if thats what you have... this problem is not caused by changing the water heater, but is quite a coincidence, maybe some dirt got into the shower valve when you took the pipes apart.

We have hot water in the master bath tub but all others are cold. The master shower is lukewarm at best but everything else is cold.

Thanks, ***** ***** 'cage assembly' in the shower valve, that will most likely solve the problem.

I am headed to Lowe’s now to buy the part. Do you think that this could be the cause of the problem upstairs since I have hot water to the master bath tub but not after the shower? Maybe it is blocking/restricting the hot water and letting cold water through to the rest of the upstairs?

We will have to wait and see.... what happens is the city water pressure in the cold water line, leaks through a defective cage and puts pressure on the hot water line, so that only the cold water flows.

I replaced the cage assembly but still have the problem.

I could be another single handle cage in the house, to test that turn cold water valve under each sink one at a time, then try the shower again see if that solves the problem.

I think I got it fixed. There is a circulator pump and apparently the water cutoff was off to that when we bought the house because it was broken. I guess that was allowing the cold water to back feed into the hot side of the faucets, tubs, and showers. I turned off the shutoff and now have hot water.

Good work! I never would have guessed that in a thousand years.

.

To close the question just locate the "finish and Rate your expert" link near the top of the page and click on it. that also gets me paid and does not affect your charges. Thanks

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer.