Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

I have a toilet in my basement that was leaking so I took…

Customer Question
I have a toilet...

I have a toilet in my basement that was leaking so I took off the tank to replace the spud gasket and since it was rocking a bit, I took off the base too. I bought a new wax ring and when I went to put the toilet back, I realized that the opening in the waste line is only 2".

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Just this evening

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes unless I have to replace the waste line in that case, someone else will have to do the work.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Plumbing
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/22/2017
Plumber: WCohn, Journeyman Plumber replied 7 months ago
WCohn
WCohn, Journeyman Plumber

My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Plumbing code requires 3 or 4 inch line for waste of toilet. In all my years of plumbing I have never seen a 2” to a toilet

Great.
I think whoever did the remodel of the basement had a drain and used it for a toilet. The toilet is below the sewer line so it goes to a pump.

It was probably a floor drain you can continue to use it but I never would as a professional in the trade

How do I handle the wax ring part? The one I bought has a flange that's supposed to go into the pipe.

That’s called a “horned” ring. Just buy a ring without a horn

Ok. What's the risk or impact of using a pipe that's too small?

It clogging. But if it wasn’t an issue before then you can only assume it won’t be again.

Please leave a five star rating

ok. Thanks very much for your help.

No problem use the stars At the top of the page for rating me