Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

Do you have experience with Quietside Tankless hot water…

Customer Question
Do you have experience...

Do you have experience with Quietside Tankless hot water heaters (model ODW-199A)? My unit flows water and fires but the water will not stay hot.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?

I did check the filter - it was fine. The temperature setting is on high.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Maybe. It depends on the problem. I've already had a plumber come and since Quietside is not in business any more, he didn't know where to start . . .

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

When the unit starts, it produces warm / hot water. After 2-5 seconds, the water coming out of the heat exchanger is cold even though there is a flame in the chamber. It seems the fire is not sufficient for the water flowing through the coil.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Plumbing
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
12/21/2017
Plumber: Phil, Mechanical Engineer. replied 7 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer.

Hello, these units need to be flushed with white vinegar, every few years in order to keep water scale from building up inside the heat exchanger. That will cause the problem you are having, flushing it is the first step at least,=.

click here for a video on how to flush a tankless water heater, or you can have it done by a plumber.

Let me know what you think about that, we can go from there without any time limits.

.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

This actually isn't the problem. A plumber has already looked at the unit and said that isn't the issue. Also, the unit went from all the hot water we could ever use to next to none over night. I don't think a coil would get that dirty in one day. Any other ideas?
Also, the water flow / pressure through the unit starts normal and then reduces after the unit has operated for 3-5 seconds. The plumber I had come to the house thought it might be the circuit board. I was able to locate a replacement and the unit still has the same problem.

Thanks for this new information.

Its hard to say without being there with test instruments and performing the tests, it could be a sticking flow switch.

The test for that is to turn on the shower, hot water, then the kitchen sink faucet hot water, if that 'solves' the problem, it is a flow switch issue. We can discuss the options after you do that test.

When the water flow rate fluctuates, the water seems to get warmer. As soon as the fluctuation stops, the water gets cold again.

Thanks, ***** ***** test with multiple hot water taps flowing... that will tell us a lot about the cause

Tell me if the cold water flow fluctuates as well as the hot water... if it does, then the problem would be in city water supply line inside your house at a pressure regulator valve.

The cold water does not fluctuate. I fluctuate the flow of water through the tankless hot water heater by turning the hot water faucet on the sink and bank tub up and down (high / low). The unit seems to be able to make "hotter" water when doing that.

Thanks, ***** ***** proven that the flow switch is sticking, OR that the flow switch is OK and the flow rate is below 0.7gallons per minute at times, that will cause the boilers burner to cycle on and off.

.

If your water heater has not been flushed with white vinegar in the last several years, flushing it would solve the problem.... there are many smart plumbers in this business that know this...its a common problem... and there are also some plumbers who do not know this.

.

This latter class of plumbers will tell you everything is fine, when it actually is not.

you think the flow switch is not bad just sticking and needs to be cleaned? Even when the water flow slows down, the burner stays on. It is strange that the water coming off the exchanger is cold to the touch even though there is fire in the box. I would think it would at least be luke-warm with the fire on. So you think it may be a combination of a dirty coil needing to be flushed and by flushing the coil I will also clean the flow switch causing it to work correctly. Is that right?
Is there any way to check the flow switch? I assume it is located on the inlet side of the unit.

Items 312 and 313 click for the diagram

.

You can look for two wire connections on either of those devices, and connect the amp meter in series with one of the wires and it will tell you when the switch is open or when its closed, you can compare that to your flow rate measurements using a gallon container at a hot tap in the kitchen.. if the switch is closing with flow rates above 0.7 gpm its stuck or defective, most likely sticking.

.

click here for the full manual

Is there something in the tankless hot water heater unit that would limit the flow of water? I can have 2 sources of hot water full open and the flow is a lot less than it normally is. The flow is even reduced with a single source of hot water being used. Not much pressure . . . . .

Item number 312 could limit the water flow but its unlikely... tests of the water flow as mentioned earlier are required, guessing will just waste your time.

You can save yourself a few days worth of headaches by flushing the system with white vinegar... or you can remove all of those parts connect to a water flow bench and test their water flow characteristics

Hello. I flushed the system with white vinegar today (two flushes, ~30 minutes each) and the system still is not producing consistent hot water. It is typically warm at best. Any other suggestions?Thank you.

IF the flushing increased the water temperature at all, then more flushing would eventually get rid of the water scale.

.

If the two 30 minute flushes did not increase the water temperature at all, I am more or less at a loss.

.

If the flow control valve was letting too much water through the water heater that would cause this problem, adjust the hot water flow at the kitchen tap to 1 gallon per minute, if the water gets hot, the the flow control is the problem.

During this time tell me if you can hear the boiler firing the entire time, or if the burners cycle on and off.

We can go from there

A flow of 1 gpm does not produce hot water, only warm. The chamber is firing but not producing consistent hot water, even at lower rates (like 1 gpm).

There is a cold water/hot water mixing valve shown in my previous link that is controlled from the sensor circled here... if that sensor is bad you will have this problem.

Use an ohm meter to measure ohms across the two wires of the sensor, with them disconnected, if the sensor is open or shorted, its bad, replace it. If its mid range there is a possiblity that its not the problem. Click here please