Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

My water heater will heat water for about two minutes and…

Customer Question
My water heater will...

My water heater will heat water for about two minutes and then it gets cold. I can turn it off for about another two minutes, turn it back on and it will get hot again.

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

Since shortly after it was installed this summer. I didn't pay much attention to it then, and it didn't seem to happen except in the shower. Now I notice it in the bathroom sink and in the kitchen.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I won't be doing it, but my son may can do it. If he doeesn't want to deal with it I'll have to get a plumber.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No, not really. The water is really hot when it IS hot, but it doesn't last long enough or run continuously as it should.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Plumbing
12/19/2017
Plumber: Rick, Construction Supervisor replied 6 months ago
Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Based on your description the most likely culprit is a broken dip tube. The dip tube carries the incoming cold water to the bottom of the tank. If it breaks the incoming cold water mixes with the hot water at the top of the tank cooling it off. The cold water piping into the tank will need to be taken apart to replace it

Wrong answer. We found out that the condensate trap was full as the cap had not been removed on installation.

You never said you had a tankless water heater.