Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

My water heater has begun to groan when demand is placed on…

Customer Question
My water heater has...

My water heater has begun to groan when demand is placed on the system.

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

It is a fairly severe vibration, and began about 2 days ago.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes, if possible. The local plumber is booked for 3 weeks.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It has performed flawlessly prior to this for 7 months. I have checked YouTube to learn how to check the venting, but nothing there that I have found, yet. I had recently increased the temp from 130 to 135 prior to the noise onset. Thinking that might be the problem, I reset it to 130 and it did not clear the problem.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Plumbing
12/20/2017
Plumber: Brian Weeks, Plumber replied 6 months ago
Brian Weeks
Brian Weeks, Plumber

Hello My name is ***** ***** I can assist you today. Can you give me make and model of the unit.

rinnai model Rl94

propane?

Natural Gas. I have checked the vent and it is clear. The vibrations seems to originate from the blower motor.

There is a few things that can cause the vibration. The most common is the blow motor has gone bad and needs to be replaced. The other is gas valve has a screen and maybe plugged.

How can I check the last screen?
Gas Screen.

Requires disconnecting the gas and removing the gas valve to check the screen, but from what you describe I would replace the blower. If the unit is still that new it maybe under warranty.

I have not heard back and was wanting to make sure everything is working okay. If possible please remember to leave a 5 star rating.

It is still dysfunctional as there are no plumbers available for several weeks.
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I still believe your problem is the blow motor. I recommend if you are comfortable with working on it to check and see if there is anything in the blower wheel.