Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

We just moved into a new house and turned on the Toyotomi…

Customer Question
We just moved into a...
We just moved into a new house and turned on the Toyotomi instant water heater. Now we have hot water ONLY in the house. Every faucet and even the toilet tank.The pipes are right next to each other so we thought perhaps that was the problem. But the intake pipe of cold water from the well to the water heater is also warm. Which makes it seem like the heater is pushing lots of hot water back into the cold lines.The shower started out hot and turned lukewarm after about 5 minutes.We turned the whole thing off for now. Worried about the implications of this issue. The old owner of course is not answering his phone. Any idea what’s wrong here and how to fix it?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Plumbing
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/17/2017
Plumber: WCohn, Journeyman Plumber replied 8 months ago
WCohn
WCohn, Journeyman Plumber

My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

New house? Like never lived in?

Sorry.. not new. New to us. It has not been lived in for the past 8 months. Before that the owner rented it out. It was built in 1983. I do not know how old the water heater is but it looks old.

Okay. Sounds like we have hot mixing with the cold. Is there hot water tank at all?

Any recirc pump?

Do you have a hose faucet that has hot AND cold plumber to it?

Let me know

Are you going to get back to me soon?

Sorry, had to run out of the house. I will be home in about an hour to check on things.

Ok

Alright, so we don’t see any recirculating pump which seems odd. It does not say that it has a tank it in, just says instant on it. But it is quite big. Not sure what you mean about the hose with hot and cold water.. where would we look for that?
I don’t see anything in the room that would allow it to mix. The water line is cold where it comes in from the well but then hot once it gets to the water heater and everywhere past that. Is it likely there is a valve broken inside the water heater that is allowing hot water to be pushed through both the cold water intake and hot water outlet?

Sounds like there is no check valve in the system. Or if there is one it’s not functioning

Check valves prevent water from flowing the wrong direction

Please leave a five star for me too

Thank you!

No problem