Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

My navies unit shows error 38 and the circulation pump is…

Customer Question
My navies unit shows...

My navies unit shows error 38 and the circulation pump is streaming water out

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the appliance? Have you gotten error messages before?

Navien

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

When it was under waranty they would send me the parts now they won't. butu yes I'm fine to do it myself

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No just wondering if I need to replace the pump. I will be removing it shortly to have a better look

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Plumbing
12/16/2017
Plumber: Brian Weeks, Plumber replied 7 months ago
Brian Weeks
Brian Weeks, Plumber
Hello my name is ***** ***** I can assist you today. Can you please give me the model of the heater and make/model of the pump.
Okay thank you the error code is for the pump. The pump from what your describing has gone bad. You will need to replace it.
I am not looking instructions to remove the pump. I want to know why but is leaking and wether or not I need to replace it
The pump may have gone bad for multiple reasons. The usual two is the impeller in the pump or it has blown a motor winding. You will need to replace the pump, but the exact cause you won’t know till you pull it. With steam coming out sounds like an internal motor seal went bad.
I am sorry not steam, I meant stream of water.
If you have anymore questions please let me know and don’t forget to leave a 5 star feedback rating.
Sorry had an emergency at work
So I’m now trying to remove the pump but can’t release the the back seal
That can be tuff some units have screw in the bottom of the box that holds the pump to the unit also.
No there’s a clip holding the rear nipple in place. Are you farmiliar with the Navien systems?
I am, once you replace the pump you should be all set. You sound mechanically knowledgeable if you have any more questions let me know
here was the problem:
As I said the water was flowing straight through the circ pump. The reason was the plug at the bottom of the pump fell out. I put it back together and it works fine
That’s great news glad it was something simple.
it was, we couldn’t see the plug but after the pump was disassembled we realized that there was a plug missing. This is why I asked if you if you were familiar with Navien. I figured, if familiar with it you would have asked about the bottom plug when I described the water flowing out of the pump.

i am glad everything worked out. Have a happy holiday.