Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

When my well pump cycles, it shuts off abruptly and the

Customer Question
When my well pump...

When my well pump cycles, it shuts off abruptly and the pipes rattle. The cycle time seems normal, so I don’t think it is short cycling. I checked the tank pressure an d it seems ok.

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

It’s been going on for about 2 weeks. Coincidentally with our first cold spell. It’s loud enough that you can hear it throughout the house. I replaced the well tank this past summer and the check valve above the well pump, too.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The tank pressure is 36 psi. Well triggers at 38 and shuts off at 60.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Plumbing
12/15/2017
Plumber: Rick, Construction Supervisor replied 7 months ago
Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Sounds like the pipes need to be secured better. They shouldn't rattle when the pump stops. The pump doesn't stop abruptly so I suspect re-hanging the pipes will quiet things down.

I should say the pump doesn't or shouldn't shake when it shuts down

Why would this change? I’ve been in the house 18 years. I’ve had the pipes bang before when the pump was short cycling. That doesn’t seem to be the case now.

Things wear out in 18 years. If the pump is shaking when it shuts down there's something wrong with the pump. Possibly a worn impeller that's out of balance.

Ok. That seems more reasonable than rehanging the pipes. Something is causing the vibration and the pipes are just reacting to it. Are there any other things that I should check before I buy a new pump? Also should I send a video of the problem? Is there a cost for this?

I doubt a vid would provide any more useful info. The pump is the only thing moving so it's the only thing that can make the pipes rattle. I'd still take a look at securing the pipes if they are not well supported.