Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

I recently changed the control valve on my shower faucet…

Customer Question
I recently changed the control...
I recently changed the control valve on my shower faucet because the hot water wasn't working put a new cartridge and water works fine but now since that whenever I use any other faucet or flush toilets there is a vibration sound similar to a cruise ship horn and the hot water back feeds out of tub spout any help would be greatly appreciated thank you
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Plumbing
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/12/2017
Plumber: WCohn, Journeyman Plumber replied 8 months ago
WCohn
WCohn, Journeyman Plumber

My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

This sort of noise is usually caused by a partially open Shut off valve. It can be anywhere in the system such as a shut off to a sink or a toilet. As well the water heater or the water main shutoff. Make sure ALL valves are fully open or completely closed

Ok I will check that but would that cause the backflow of water out of the tub spout

What do you mean by “backflow” out the spout?

When I flush or turn off faucet in a different room water comes out of the spout in the tub hot water this is first line off of the water heater

That is extremely odd. So it happens when the shower is off and does it keep happening or is it the water in the shower riser draining? Way to test this it run the shower then turn it off and then remove the shower head. Then flush toilets and run sink. If no water comes out spout it is merely the riser draining

It happens all the time I don't even use that shower/tub on regular basis

That is not anything I’ve ever heard of. I can opt out so someone else can help you.

Plumber: Rick, Construction Supervisor replied 8 months ago
Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

The noise is a known design flaw in many pressure balancing cartridges. It only shows up occasionally but often enough that most major manufacturers have a resigned cartridge to solve the noise issue. The water running in the tub when another fixture is used is odd but could also be caused by the cartridge defect. I'd suggest you call the manufacturer and insist on a modified cartridge replacement. Be persistent since this condition is not common knowledge even among some customer service reps and even less well known among supply house personnel.

I did get a second cartridge from the manufacturer which is Kohler and still same issue

You can't use the same standard cartridge. It has to be the modified version.

Have you talked to Kohler? what do they say about this?

Okay I will call

Let me know what happens

I told them about the problem that's why they sent me a second cartridge they thought maybe that was the first one was defective I will try them again and let you know

Ok