Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

My toilet fills well when it flushes but has a very sluggish…

Customer Question
My toilet fills well when...
My toilet fills well when it flushes but has a very sluggish drain so it doesn't move anything down very well and causes regular blockages. There are no blockages right now and still there is a sluggish drain and a gurgling when it empties. I think it is a toilet fault and not a drains issue.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Plumbing
12/12/2017
Plumber: Rick, Construction Supervisor replied 7 months ago
Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Sounds like you have a partial stoppage. The bowl needs to be snaked out with a toilet auger (see attached pic)

I have already done an auger and there was no blockage
I have also used a plunger extensively
I am sure it is not a blockage and is to do with the actual toilet mechanisms

If you already used an auger there may be something caught in the bowl that the auger is bypassing. The another likely possibility is a venting issue but that would likely be constant not intermittent. If your toilet has a siphon jet (~3/4" hole in the bottom of the bowl then it could be clogged. This is not a "toilet mechanism" issue.

It doesn't have a hole in the bottom of the bowl

The you're left with the other possibilities.

I have used the auger a few more times and there it is coming out clean and the water in the bowl is clear

Something is caught in the bowl that the auger is bypassing or you have a venting issue. Could also be a defect in the bowl in which case you need a new toilet