Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

I have a GE Smartwater Gas hot water heater (Model

Customer Question
I have a GE...

I have a GE Smartwater Gas hot water heater (Model GG50T06AVH00) and there is water leaking out of the hot water output line at the top of the tank where the line is connected to the tank. It was a very slow leak but is increasing, and the drip pan is plastic and obviously has some cracks/holes. Water is slowly dripping thru ceiling into a bedroom.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Labels say manufactured 8/2005. SmartWater Model #: GG50T06AVH00. Serial #: GELN 0805A37069.Can I turn off the water to the heater, and if so, would I need to turn off the gas/pilot light as well?

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

At this point yes, as it is after 1:00am! I figured to turn off the water to prevent further water drainage into the room. I can get it repaired/replaced on Monday.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It's a 50 Gallon natural gas heater and sits in the attic. What else can I tell you? There is what looks like a shut off valve (like a water faucet) on the cold water input line right before the expansion tank. Not sure if that would turn off the water and stop the leaking.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Plumbing
12/9/2017
Plumber: Rick, Construction Supervisor replied 8 months ago
Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

It should stop the leak but it will take a while for the pressure to dissipate unless you also open a hot water (only) faucet and leave it open

the valve on the incoming cold water line will cut the water to the heater tank? And, do I also need to cut off the gas if I cut off the water?

Yes cold water line shut off will stop water flowing into the tank. You can turn the gas back to pilot or just unplug the unit if it is a power vented unit. But it doesn't really matter. It will save you some gas usage.