Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

This pertains to the tankless water heater FVI12, we noticed…

Customer Question
This pertains to the...

This pertains to the tankless water heater FVI12, we noticed that the water pressure dropped when the faucet is turned on and where as the faucets in sinks have multiple water restructures and our tub does not and when the hotis turned on it starts at a full volume then drops swiftly how do i get the water pressure back

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

Shortly after it was installed

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I have worked for a plumbing service and done handy man work for many years and our son is a plumbing contractor

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Plumbing
12/5/2017
Plumber: Rick, Construction Supervisor replied 7 months ago
Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of your situation.

When was the last time this unit was acid flushed?

we have not as it was installed in oct of this year...

You're describing a classic flow restriction. Unlikely it's inside the unit since it's so new. Since you installed this unit you have a better idea that me as to where that restriction might be. My only sight unseen guess is an old gate valve that's stuck partially closed.

the prior unit had a full volume and the ball valve has full volume
my thought is the water volume regulation valve is not allowing full volume through the unit

There is no water volume regulator. There's a flow sensor but nothing big enough to make a difference should get past the screen on the cold inlet. Check the screen, maybe it's clogged but a clogged screen usually doesn't act like you describe.

then why do the schematics indicate one...

I'm going to open this up to my colleagues so one of them can help. Please don't respond (even to acknowledge this post)until you get a response from us. If you respond first it will only delay your answer.

hello - is there any body out there
my problem, er, seems like a simple one - i have a good hot temp at all faucets, however, there are H2O restrictures except for the bath tub and as soon as i turn on that the pressure drops to a trickle, a hot trickle and when i check the post heater flow it drops to a trickle and my guess is the "water volume regulation valve" requires attention
Plumber: Brian Weeks, Plumber replied 7 months ago
Brian Weeks
Brian Weeks, Plumber
Was the heater pipe in full pipe sized volume? Is there a pipe size reduction going into the heater? Example normal heater inlet is 3/4, but was reduced to 1/2”?
not reduced, with the old tank, then with the bosch, now the eccotemp FVI12-LP it is 1/2 copper, there is a reduction in the flow within the unit
I have done some research and belief your problem is wrong heater for the application. Tubs allow more than 2.5 gallons a minutes. This unit is only set for 2.3 please see attach website. I recommend a larger unit. https://www.eccotemp.com/eccotemp-fvi12-lp-tankless-water-heater/
the water is slowed down thru the unit to heat. Normal plumbing code for a whole house heater is 3/4 inlet. 1/2 is too small for a whole home setup. I hope this information will help you.