Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

I have replaced a lot of Moen cartridges but this one (just…

Customer Question
I have replaced a...

I have replaced a lot of Moen cartridges but this one (just moved to a new house) defies me. The gray retaining nut (I believe it is called) does not want to budge. Channel lock pliers loosened it a little but it will not turn to any degree (comes to a positive stop) in either direction. Neither will it lift. I do not want to use undue force. Faucet is as old a the hose - 6 years and when I moved in the softener was not in use.

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

Tap is stiff so I thought that I would remedy the situation before things got worse. I moved in the middle of October this year.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Only the all the other faucets were not equipped with the "grey retaining nut". I have replaced a number of Moen cartridges successful.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Plumbing
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/2/2017
Plumber: Home Guru, Handyman replied 8 months ago
Home Guru
Home Guru, Handyman

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

Can you upload a photo of what you have so I get you the right info?

will do.

OK just use the paperclip attachment on this page I will be here waiting for the link to pop up.

unable to get photo

OK do you have the puller removal tool? CLICK HERE You need that for the stubborn ones.

I do not have any special tool for Moen faucets. Is this tool used to pull the cartridge? It is the gray retaining nut that is giving me trouble. I saw videos where the gray nut either just screwed off by hand and in other cases it was lifted off.
I just use vice grip for stubborn cartridges - works every time.

Yes the tool is used to pull the cartridge....this nut?? CLICK HERE

Is that a Moen Faucet and do you have the model ?

It is a Moen.unsure of the model. The only number I have is stamped on the underside of a brass? bronze? part that sat on top of the gray part.
110722
Ok. I just dissembled my other bathroom faucet. The gray part does NOT come off. One has to reach with pliers of vice grips and the cartridge comes straight out. The new cartridge is in and all is working well. Thanks for your trouble.

No problem at all.

All that I ask is please use the FINISH BY RATING link on your page to select a *****5 STAR rating***** before leaving.....otherwise I receive ZERO credit for assisting you. Also this does not close the question out and you can come back anytime for FREE right here to me......Happy Holidays!