Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

My old galvanized pipe irrigation system is leaking and I…

Customer Question
My old galvanized pipe irrigation...
My old galvanized pipe irrigation system is leaking and I have made many patches, so time for PVC convert. So here is what I don't understand. There are now 2 main supply runs from the actuator (controller zoned area) which service 3 separate groups of foliage, but note that since the supply matrix was installed years ago a wide circular driveway was installed over the 2 main runs. Also the water demand is much lower because the grass was converted to desert plants now utilizing mostly drips.Question: Is it best to make a new design with 3 separate runs (to be named "a" - 7 spray heads, " b" - 8 drips, "c" - 5 drips) from the actuator and if so what size PVC for each main run or follow old design (as now installed) from the actuator with one run (1/2 ") to the closest grouping (a) and one run (3/4") to the next closest (b), then a tee off an extension from "b" to run (1/2") to the 3rd and farthest (c) plant grouping?And lastly would you use a water jet power auger to burrow under the driveway (14' wide) or what??? Thanks.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Plumbing
12/1/2017
Plumber: Rick, Construction Supervisor replied 7 months ago
Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can

continue our conversation.

I'd sugest you use black poly instead of PVC. It's the industry standard and is less expensive as well as available in longer lengths (100', 300') so fewer joints. Both drip zones can be 1/2". A water jet auger is a good option for tunneling under the driveway. What are the specs on your spray heads?

Answer
I have mostly used Orbit 4 to 8-Port Adjust Flow Manifolds with CETA PC Emitters on Stake. I have three lines of 1/2" Emitter Tubing with connected CETA PC Emitters on Stakes.Question
I must ask again for clarification that you have no concern of poor water delivery if I tee off a 1/2" line to another 1/2" run. I thought they used a 3/4 because because of the tee.Question
Also my question remains unanswered about whether it is better to create 3 new main runs (from the actuator) or two (as the the old install) with a tee off the second run to get to the 3rd area .Question
Also they laid the pipe about 6 inches below surface is this a good depth?

I was sizing branches not mains. Main should be 1" to sprinkler heads with 1/2" branches to emitters. You give me no indication of layout so I can't answer your question as to where to run your banches off the main. Shortest run is best unless you want your solenoids near the house in which case you'd have 3 branches. Otherwise you'll have to put your solenoids in a valve box down the line. I'd run at least 12" deep.

pls opt out