Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

Replaced defective thermostat 3 times in 2 weeks and now the…

Customer Question
Replaced defective thermostat...

Replaced defective thermostat 3 times in 2 weeks and now the thermostat is defective again

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

2 weeks replace heat element also

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes ,I have been doing that for over 10 years

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It is very unusually 3 thermostats failed in 2 weeeks

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Plumbing
11/30/2017
Plumber: Home Guru, Handyman replied 7 months ago
Home Guru
Home Guru, Handyman

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

What is going out of the thermostats also please provide the make and model of the thermostats and if they are battery-powered or apply constant power from the Transformer.

there is no current going through the defective thermostat voltage 220, made can not check it now, but it is universal from lowes

Did you get them all from the same batch maybe?

I have tested and replaced 3 thermostats The problem is the same on all of them ,after a few days of working they fail and there is no current going through the thermostats ,tested with ohm meter ,the thermostats did not come out of the same package, the first one is a different manufacturerer more expensive than lowes I bought it at amazon the second one is lowes and the the third one I took out of a different pack there are always the upper ones that are failing?

IS the unit drawing too much current burning them out?

I have replaced the upper heat element ,which was not defective the water heater is only 2 years old ,after the second thermostat was defective ,I also replaced the upper heat element with the old one ,I was suspecting the replaced heat element could be the problem , so I did put the old one back ,the ohms on the new and the old one where the same

Have you checked the current draw with a clamp meter to see?

I have not , I would have to replace the thermostat for the 4 time first and than I have to buy an amp meter ,to check the amps, Instead
I am going to buy a complete set of thermostats plus heat elements ,and if it happens again I buy a new water heater
I thank you very much for your time ,since I really did not learn any thing new I am sorry I can not pay

OK I have opted out of this question maynbe another tech can assist, without proper information from a meter there is really not much I can do.