Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

I have two newly installed Moen positemp faucets. The

Customer Question
I have two newly...

I have two newly installed Moen positemp faucets. The plumbing to both was backwards so as suggested here previously I flipped the valves upside down and that corrected things (except one of the faucets won't shut off now). If I turn it back around so that hot is cold and cold is hot it stops dripping. What's up with this - any ideas?

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

It started the minute I flipped the valve over and it stops as soon as I reverse it. It is much more than a drip it is a light flow of warm water.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If possible - yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

That's all I can think of. It is curious that both valve were purchased and installed at the same time - turning one valve over correct the hot cold thing and produced no dripping (the valve shut off properly). Turning the other identical valve over fixes the hot cold issue but then the valve does not shut off fully. Just doesn't make sens...

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Plumbing
11/19/2017
Plumber: WCohn, Journeyman Plumber replied 8 months ago
WCohn
WCohn, Journeyman Plumber

My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Okay Wade. Do you need more than what I wrote previously?

You said you flipped the valves upside down. Do you mean you flipped the cartridges or the entire valve?

Just the cartridges (1225).

If you have the trim and handle off run hot water for a few the feel the left side pipe coming into the valve as you face it. Is it hot?

Lots of people make a mistake thinking a positive-temp valve is ran backwards when they aren’t. The lever of the handle is NOT the indicator of whether it’s hot or cold. I bet that is the issue rather than them being reversed

With the handle on and the valve off the imagine an indicator arrow at the 12o’clock position. You turn it counterclockwise and it gets hotter. Until that arrow is pointed at about 8:00. The lever would be at 2:00. That’s fully hot. I’ll bet you had it right the whole time

Please understand that if this turns out to just need a replacement Moen 1225 to fix, I can get a replacement cartridge on warrant for free ( new one without warranty is only $15). This should be something simple so I'm trying to get a fix a s inexpensively as possible. Worst case, I'll flip the cartridge back to the way it was when it didn't leak and cut the copper and solder it back with the pipes reversed. So, I'm just trying to get an answer as to why one cartridge flipped over and worked okay and the other one did not. With this Moen assembly the cold water is supposed to come on first and then as you continue to open the valve more the hot gradually mixes with the cold. Because my water pipes were installed reversed the hot cam on first and then as you open the valve more the cold gradually comes on. Online I was told to reverse the cartridges. I did this and it fixed the hot cold issue but one valve continued to run even when shut off. When I flipped it back over again the hot cold were of course reversed (wrong) but the running water in the off position stopped. I just can't understand why this happens - does not make sense??? Why should one valve work normally and the other not under the same conditions???