Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

Last night a PEX line running to a cast iron baseboard

burst, partly flooding my basement...
Last night a PEX line running to a cast iron baseboard burst, partly flooding my basement. That line is only about 6 years old from a remodeling job in our house when we replaced a cash iron radiator in our bedroom with cast iron baseboard. I thought PEX was much more durable. Three questions. Does Pex have a limited life compared to cast iron? Should I have the Pex lines replaced with cast iron or copper? Is there some sort of system that would shut down the plumbing or send an alarm if something like that were to happen? I would hate to think of the result if this happened when we were away on a trip. Even out for dinner.
11/17/2017
Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

PEX is only rated to a certain temp (depends on the product). That temp bumps up against operating temps in a hot water system. I would never use PEX with cast iron radiators only copper or iron (black) pipe

What about availability of alarm systems in case of water system leak like the one I had last night. By the time I smelled the water, there was over 100 gallons all over the floor.

That's a different question and category. Not my area of expertise. Post a question in the electrical category if you want info on alarm systems.

Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor