Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

I have an E110CN that has been in service for DHW for about…

Customer Question
I have an E110CN...

I have an E110CN that has been in service for DHW for about 2 months and has been working fine. Just finishing installation for Central Heating and have commissioned for startup. Have Taco ZVC404 connected to a pex universe SSM104 manifold and SSM101 24VAC zone valves. When thermostat calls for heat the E110CN starts the pump but displays a code 6 (heat demand but no burner start). Pressure is staying steady at 19-20psi, no error codes. Any ideas? Thanks, Shawn

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the appliance? Have you gotten error messages before?

The appliance is about 2 months old, no errors.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I think I have covered all the pertinent details

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Plumbing
11/16/2017
Plumber: Daniel Plourde, Plumber replied 5 months ago
Daniel Plourde

HI I AM DAN I CAN HELP YOU WITH THIS. CAN YOU POST SOME PICTURES OF HOW YOU HAVE THE PIPING PUMPS AND ZONE VALVES CONFIGURED SO I CAN GET A BETTER IDEA OF WHAT THE PROBLEM MIGHT BE.

Dan, Sorry, I was out of town for a few days. Please find attached a picture of the installation. Some other details - I have a Taco 00e series VR1816 variable speed pump for the secondary loop circulator and the pump does turn on and circulate the water through the heating loops when a zone is calling for heat. Thanks.

does the circulator get power and how do you have the circulator wired and main power to the zone board?

As I stated, the circulator does energize when the system calls for heat! It is wired through the contacts for the pump on the Taco zone controller. The zone controller is powered by a discreet circuit directly.

sorry for some reason i read that the pump was not circulating. to address the continuous code 6 turn the domestic cold water off to the DHW side of the boiler and see if the heat comes on after that.

Dan, tried that - same result. I have also modified parameter 36 to 20 instead of the default 10 so that it would not do the warming function of the plate heat exchanger. Read that gives priority to DHW and could be restricying the boiler from firing for the CH. Still always gives me a code 6.

CHANGE PARA 36 BACK TO 10 AND UNPLUG THE FLOW SENSOR AND TURN BACK ON AND SEE IF HEAT COMES ON

I had already set the parameter back to 10 and when I disconnected the flow sensor it did not make any difference. What I have found now is that if I place the outdoor temp sensor in a cold pack and brought the temp down to 40F (or lower) the boiler will light and function properly. The current outdoor temp displayed by the info screen shows 56F and boiler will only display the code 6 and not fire. Is there a parameter that can be adjusted the will allow CH to function at a higher ambient temp? I see that there are parameters 5-11 and 27 that seem to deal with the heating curve graph but no explanation of how to set them! I definitely don't want to wait for the temp out side to be under 40 to get heat!

OK THAT WOULD EXPLAIN IT. I DO NOT SEE A PARAMETER TO ADJUST THE MAX OUTDOOR TEMP BUT IM SURE THERE IS A WAY TO DO IT. I WOULD RECOMEND CALLING RINNAI DIRECTLY AND TALKING TO THIER TECHNICAL SUPPORT TEAM AS THAT IS MORE IN THIER BALLPARK OF SETTING UP THE BOILER.

(###) ###-####/p>

IF YOU HAVE ANY MORE QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS PLEASE LETY ME KNOW OR IF THIS HELPS YOU I WOULD APPRECIATE IT IF YOU COULD RATE ME ON MY SERVICE BY SELECTING ONE OF THE 5 STARS ON YOUR PAGE.

Daniel Plourde
Daniel Plourde
Daniel Plourde, Plumber