Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

I have an older home with a well. The well pump seems to…

Customer Question
Hello, I have an older...
Hello, I have an older home with a well. The well pump seems to work fine and the holding tank is filled. However, there is no pressure from the holding tank back to the house. The pump runs continuously, however the pressure gauge is at 0. There’s a small pressure tank that’s partially filled with water, but there’s no water going to the house.Does the pressure tank need to be replaced?I’ve attached pictures of the system for your review
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Plumbing
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/13/2017
Plumber: Rick, Construction Supervisor replied 8 months ago
Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of your situation.

Where is the pump? in the well? above ground (in the basement)?

I’ve attached pictures of the system. Everything is above ground, I’m in Florida so no basements around here, however the well and well pump is located in the garage. The system leading to the house is just outside of the garage. Hopefully the pictures will make sense

Ok, if the pump runs constantly and bulid not pressure then either the pump is worn out, the well is "dry" or you have a leak in the suction line between the well and the pump. This has nothing to do with the pressure tank.

The well pump seems to work fine and pumps into the holding tank, the lines leading to and from the house were recently replaced. once the water is in the tank it doesn’t leave the tank...even though the pump runs continuously. The pump that runs continuously is around a year old, so if the pump is bad, something must have caused it to run dry and burn up. If the pressure tank went bad, would that cause the pump to suck air? With the above info, is it safe to assume that it’s the pump?

If it's not building pressure the pump is not working fine. Again this has nothing to do with the holding tank. Could be the pump could also be too little water in the well. Still can't rule out the suction line no matter how recently is was replaced. If the water is up in the well and the suction line holds a pressure test then the only thing left is the pump.

The pressure gauge at the well is close to 30psi. There’s a faucet after the line leaves the well and when turned on, water gushes out. all of the lines from the well pump to the holding tank are above ground and are short distance from each other, there are no evident leaks. So it sounds like it’s the pump that returns water to the house

You said the pressure was 0 so that's why I gave the answers I did. Upon closer inspection of the pics it looks like you have a holding tank in the garage and another pump and pressure tank outdoors next to a water treatment system. From what I can see in the pics how this is piped it looks like you have a bloackage in the water treatment system

There are two pressure gauges, two pressure tanks, two pumps..one pumping water from the well and one pumping water to the house...if the pictures I sent or my explanation was confusing...my apologies. After your prior answer, I assumed it was the pump and was on my way to purchase a new one. Are you saying that it may not be the pump? When I plug it in...it runs continuously and doesn’t appear to have any water flowing through it

After closer examination of the piping in your pics, it looks like the water from the well holding tank is piped to the water treatment system then out of that system into the second pump which is reading 0. So that points to a clog in the water treatment system. I see what looks like a solenoid on the line into the treatment system. It's possible that solenoid is not opening

Do you have more questions?

That wouldn't fix a solenoid. I have no way of knowing what controls that solenoid

If they didn’t sell the solenoid by itself, is it part of a larger part in the system?

I've never seen the water treatment system you have. I have no way of knowing how it functions. You need to call somone local who is familiar with that system.