Plumbing

Plumbing Questions? Ask a Plumber and Get Answers ASAP.

Plumbing

I live in brand new development in brooklyn. Been living

Hey! I live in brand...
Hey! I live in brand new development in brooklyn. Been living there for a month and since monday there has been disgusting odor (sewage/bacteria/gas) coming from the closet that has ao smith water heater in it. It seems the smell comes from the rods, not the actual boiler. Managament and super not being helpful as they dont know what to do! What it can be and could be dangerous for your health? What can be done? Super said there is no gas in the building so it must be bacteria
JA: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?
Customer: Monday. It is bad. The whole livingroom smells where the closet is. Giving me headache
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If I could but I guess legally Its not possible as me and my roommate are renting? What can it be?
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Thats about it
10/18/2017
Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

An odor coming from the water not the closet the water heater is in can be caused by an interacton between the anode rod in the tank and harmless bacteria. But what you describe sounds like a broken plumbing vent connection most likely buried in a wall. I'd suggest you get a plumber to check this out.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you Rick! It is not water that smells. We run hot water today for 15mins and it didnt smell like anything. It is the rods/Pipes that goes from water tank to the wall where the smell seems to be coming from. Management sends handymans who are not plumbers and dont know what to do. Could it be sewage gas? Or just bacteria in the water. There is no water leaks anywhere. Worried about my health as I have exposed to sewage gas before and it gave me really bad symptoms. Thank you again

You're welcome. Like I said before it's not the water based on your description. Yes it could be sewer odor if not sewer gas. There never is any water in a plumbing vent but it is connected to the rest of the drainage system so the sewer odor can escape out a broken vent. This will require a real plumber to track down.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Oh man sounds like something the management wont want to take care of. Its all about profit for them. And we cant hire blumper with out the owner/management of the building approving it? And changing the anod wouldnt help either? Really sad about this as we just moved month ago from similar situation and spend lot of money for moving

Anode rod is INSIDE the tank and only an issue if you have stinky water. You might consider calling the Board of Health who might send someone out to look into the odor. They could force management to do something. If you own the unit there's no reason you can't call a plumber yourself if you get no satisfaction otherwise.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We rent. Yes I will contact EPA and I have had them come over to the old apartment of ours but they were only able to test for chemicals, not for bacteria. Thank you so much anyway. This was helpful

Not the EPA, you want to call the Board of Health. I'm glad I could help. I'd appreciate a favorable rating. Use the stars at the top of the page to rate my service.

Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok will do that! Thanks so much and Yes I will rate you

Thanks

Rick
Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor