Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

I had a friend add a cash acme mixing valve. I bought a

Hello,I had a friend add...
Hello,I had a friend add a cash acme mixing valve.I bought a southwire infrared thermometer. To test temps.I'm having a lot of difficulty getting a safe but comfortable temperature in a two bathroom raised ranch. Checking kitchen sink as well.Do you feel it was put in correctly? Which way should I turn the knob for hotter and colder?
Answered in 1 day by:
10/19/2017
Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor

I'm responding now because none of my colleagues has picked up this question. I didn't answer because I don't use Cash Acme valves and there is no info available on which way to turn it to adjust the temp. As far as the install goes; unless this valve has built in check valves the piping is wrong. The valve should be trapped which means the piping should drop down before connecting to the valve. It shouldn't go straight into the sides

happy you took my question. You've always given top notch responses in the past. I have you listed under my favorites.I am unclear what a built in check valve is?I am sort of a novice when it comes to this."The valve should be trapped which means the piping should drop down before connecting to the valve. It shouldn't go straight into the sides"Looking at the picture, the hot is on the left the cold is on the right. I think you are saying, both of those pipes need to drop down before entering into the sides? How far down?As I turned the knob I received inconsistent temperature ups and downs. As you turn the bottom and the screw comes out on it is says H<---->C but that did not seem to be the case. Do you think the lack of trapping is the reason for the malfunctioning? Do you recommend a different mixing valve all together?

They should drop down at least 6". Your drawing isn't quite rght. The pipe drops down 6" then right into the valve so the valve is 6" lower than the original piping. No way for you to know if the valve has built in checks. Not traping the valve could contribute ot the problem. We use Honeywell-Sparco valves or Taco valves.

34;They should drop down at least 6". Your drawing isn't quite rght. The pipe drops down 6" then right into the valve so the valve is 6" lower than the original piping."
Is this diagram what you mean? The hot comes out of the boiler while the cold goes into the boiler, I think? close to the middle blue part of the boiler. My poorly drawn sketch in boiler 4 is that where the connections should come out and go at least 6 inches below? When you say "original piping" in (boiler 5) is that what you mean? Thanks

You got it.

I was adjusting the knob, running very hot and cold water for quite a while and then blew out my pressure tank switch, do you think it was somehow related?Thanks

If you mean the pressure switch on a well tank then not likey related

that's what I mean, great.So, I will get a Honeywell-Sparco valves or Taco valves and connect them close to the arrows in boiler diagram 5, then you feel I should be able to have 110 degrees coming out of all faucets in the house?
dropping 6 inches down I forgot to say.

Yes, the install instructions will tell you how to adjust the temp.

Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor