Plumbing

Plumbing Questions? Ask a Plumber and Get Answers ASAP.

Plumbing

My Quietside tankless water heater is acting funny. My

Customer Question
My Quietside tankless water heater...
My Quietside tankless water heater is acting funny. My master shower has three heads on two lines. If one is turned on, it only gets so hot. When the other is turned on, the first gets as hot as it should but the second stays cold. Turn off the second and the first returns to not as hot as it should be. Also, the other sinks in the house are not getting to 116 degrees. Please help.
-Brent
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Plumbing
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/16/2017
Plumber: WCohn, Journeyman Plumber replied 4 months ago
WCohn
WCohn, Journeyman Plumber

My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

All Quietside water heaters have been recalled and the manufacturer is out of business. They catch on fire. If you or the original installer registered it they would have notified you.

I understand they've been recalled but they've been fixed so they don't catch on fire
Plumber: Elliott Oxton, Plumber replied 4 months ago
Elliott Oxton
Elliott Oxton, Plumber

Good day Brent,

My name is ***** ***** i have worked in the plumbing industry for over 18 years. Im sorry to hear that you are having issues with this heater. I see you have already had some feedback from another expert. If there is any new information that you can share with me to help with this issue please let me know.

To help us understand fully the issue can you answer a couple of additional questions?

Is the heater a natural gas heater or electrical?

Have you had any issues with the heater before?

You mention that the heater has been 'fixed' to make it fire safe. What work was done to make it fire safe and was this done recently?

I look forward to assisting you with this issue.

Warm regards,

Elliott

Hi Brent,

Do you still need assistance with the issue you have mentioned above? I look forward to doing all i can to help you fix this asap. Please let me know if there is any new information that may help us resolve this.

Hope you have a good day.

Warm regards,

Elliott

Sure
It was fixed for the recall years ago. Now it's outing out hot water just not as hot as it used to. My master shower has three heads but now only one can get hot. I've seen things online about the need to "flush". Could this be it? Again, it's working just not well

Im pleased that you have benefited already from the recall for this unit and it has been repaired.

Im presuming this is a natural gas unit. Please let me know if this is different.

But either way the fact you are getting heat helps us to see that there is hot water being produced by the heater. What we need to look at is the supply of water through the heater. This is where you may have seen about a 'flush' being needed. As with any piece of equipment that is heated and has water in it (such as a kettle) lime scale will form. This is the number 1 issue in plumbing and heating systems. It could be that there is a build up of scale in your boiler or that some has fallen off the walls inside and blocked a filter.

One check that would be good to perform initially is if the water filter drain valve is blocked. A step by step guide on how to do this is found in the manual on page 14. I will attach this manual below.

Please try to perform this procedure to see if this helps. See if you notice any debris or sludge in the water as it comes out.

Additionally it would be good to confirm that the temperature setting has not been moved on the heater. Also have there been any works done on the plumbing system recently? If there has been a decrease in water pressure in the cold taps this will effect the heater also.

Please let me know how you get on with these points.

Warm regards,

Elliott

Please click on the link to view the manual:

http://www.justtankless.com/quietside/man/ODW_Owners_Install.pdf

I did check the filter and it was clean. Any other ideas?

I would like to ask a few questions to get a better idea of the whole system.

What kind of plumbing system do you have? Does the cold water come direct from the mains in the road? Or does you water supply go into a water tank which is then pumped around the system?

Do you live in a hard water area? And do you have a water softener? Has it been recharged or replaced recently?

When the showers are running does the heater cycle on and off?

Elliott

Also what temperature have you set the controller to?

Marc
Marc
Marc, Plumber