Plumbing

Plumbing Questions? Ask a Plumber and Get Answers ASAP.

Plumbing

I installed a TOTO 2 piece toilet CST744SF. I ordered the

10" rough in since to...
I installed a TOTO 2 piece toilet CST744SF. I ordered the 10" rough in since to the middle of my bolts from the wall (the actual wall not the molding) is under 12" and there is a 3" gap between the tank and wall and looks terrible. What can I do to get the toilet against the wall? We have limited space in bathrooms so the extra "3 is useful plus it just doesnt look right? Do I need to order a different toilet? I don;t want to install the other toiler in master and have it look like this.
10/16/2017
WCohn
WCohn, Journeyman Plumber

My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

First measure the center of bolts to the back wall. Give me the EXACT measurement

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
A plumber came out recently because old toilet wouldn’t flush. He told me 10” rough in as well

Measure from back of toilet to center of bolts is it actually 10”?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
More like 9”
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
But in master bathroom those 3” make a huge difference

Nothing you can do except fur out the wall. You are might be able to fin a 12” rough toilet that is actually 11-1/4”. Otherwise you are just in between the two and it’s shows the gap

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The toilets I’m replacing are up against the wall. Wall about maybe an inch
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
why would these be so far away?

I’ll bet the old ones are 2” rough toilets. Rough means center of bolts to bare studs. With 1/2” drywall they are 11-1/2” finish depth. A lot of toilets out there will work with 11-1/2” rough and that would be a 11” finish. I think your plumber gave you a bit of bad advice by recommending a 10” rough.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yeah I agree. So do you think a standard 12” would work or no?

Not all 12” will you will need to either measure in the showroom or study spec sheets.

Please give me a 5 star rating

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What’s a way I can cheat the rough in? Find a 12” with the bolt holes 11 1/4” is all I can do?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What specs am I needing to look at exactly ?

just have to find a toilet the specs slightly under 12”.

Look at manufacturers websites they all list a specification sheet

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is it called the rough in spec or what?

Let me show you a spec sheet please give me a few to upload it for you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thanks Wade
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is this a common issue?

Common for plumbers who suck at reading at tape measure. I’ve roughed in 100’s of toilets and never missed

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
this is something that the builders did? Or the original plumbers I mean

Yes

Here’s the specs on a 12” rough in Toto Drake. Look at how it’s 12” off finished wall with a 3/4” gap at tank lid. Which means it will barely work with an 11-1/4” bolt to wall measurement. If I was you I’d look further for something closer to 11”. But this might be the closest you get.

Any questions?

Looks to me like it should work great.

Sorry do late reply but in the three hours you took to respond I went to bed. God job on finding one that will work

WCohn
WCohn, Journeyman Plumber
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I rated you 5 stars. One last question about new toilets I ordered. Do you recommend a wax seal with or without the horn?

Without.

WCohn
WCohn
WCohn, Journeyman Plumber