Plumbing

Plumbing Questions? Ask a Plumber and Get Answers ASAP.

Plumbing

I have an overflow valve extending from a ledge into my

driveway that has continuously dripped...
I have an overflow valve extending from a ledge into my driveway that has continuously dripped water for the past two days. The valve is immediately below a steam shower that I had installed four years ago. I am showing no leaking inside my house nor am I hearing any water running. I have checked my water meter and there is no indication of any water running or of any leak. I do not have any air conditioning. Any ideas?
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/14/2017
WCohn
WCohn, Journeyman Plumber

My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Steam showers have a pressure relief valve installed. Yours probably has failed and needs replaced. Since it’s draing out through a pipe and isn’t doing damage it’s not an emergency but needs addressed

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have two follow up questions, Wade. First, where is the pressure relief valve located? Is it with the steam machine mechanism, adjacent to the shower or inside the shower or in a wall? Secondly, does it make sense that it would still be dripping even though the steam shower hasn't been used in 3-4 days?

The relief valve is screwed into the side of the steam shower. Yes it makes sense that is dripping even without use. There is still water in the steam generator and if the relief valve is not shutting completely then it will leak

Please leave a 5 star rating for helping you tonight

WCohn
WCohn, Journeyman Plumber
Elliott Oxton
Elliott Oxton, Plumber

Good day, My name is ***** ***** i have worked in the plumbing and heating industry for over 18 years. I look forward to helping you with this issue.

I have read through the conversation with you and the other expert.

What he was saying may be correct that it is a relief or safety valve. Often when these valves open small bits of debris sit on the washer causing it to stay slightly open. This is a common issue with all safety valves. Often they can only be used one time.

At this stage have you had a chance to find the valve that is leaking? How can I further assist you with this issue?

Warm regards,

Elliott

Good day,

I hope that you are well and that there has been some progress with this issue. Is there anyway that i can assist you at this stage with the leak? I am here ready to help should you need it.

Warm regards,

Elliott

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My plumber replaced the safety valve and it continues to leak. We are now trying to locate a pinhole leak somewhere in the system.

Ok I'm sorry to hear about that. So is the water running on the outside of the overflow pipe?

When there is a leak it can be very hard to find so i hope you spot it quickly. Obviously look out for any signs of damp showing up. But if the drip is continuous it is likely to be from the cold water main or the hot water that is connected to the main.

I will leave this open for now until so that you can ask anything about this issue while it is ongoing. Please feel free to ask and I will reply as soon as i can.

Have a good day.

Elliott

WCohn
WCohn
WCohn, Journeyman Plumber