Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

We have a 60 year old house that has had this problem for…

Customer Question
We have a 60 year...
We have a 60 year old house that has had this problem for years: we have 70 lbs. of pressure in the system until a toilet is flushed, then the pressure drops to 40 lbs., and when another toilet is then flushed the pressure in the line drops to 20 lbs. Any idea how fix?
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Plumbing
It appears that we have a couple of old stop and waste valves under the kitchen that are in the line as well.
10/1/2017
Plumber: Machinc, General Contractor replied 10 months ago
Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor
This would take quite a bit of new plumbing work to correct.
More....
Of course the real problem is for the person in the shower while all of this is going on .
More.......
As a temporary attempt check the cut off behind the commodes .
Turn all the way iff then slightly back on . It will take the commode tank longer to fill but it will decrease the problem to some extent. Do this at both commodes. .....
If they were wide open you should notice a slight or better improvement. ..
More......
That of course is just a long shot .
The real solution is to have a professional plumber evaluate your system . You will need a total inspection including pipe sizes and trunk lines and just how your house is plumbed.
The size and shape , long, rectangular , two story willl play a oart in the problem and the solution.
More....
The cost of a professional inspection and then the needed
work being performed may seem high but it is worth it in the long run for both comfort and safety.
Someone in the shower could be injured reacting to the sudden drop in pressure and the change
in water temperature.
This is in reality the only solution to your problem.
A replacing and redesign of the system is about the only way to resolve this problem .
Depending on the size of the system (pipe size ,design ) and previous work that has been done
parts of it could be reused .
This is something only a field visit and total inspection by a professional can determine.
More....
Use only licensed professional plumbing contractors and get more than one bid for this work.
The stop and waste valves you mentioned are probably nothing you can turn on or off to affect the problem . See if you can determine what they actually do and if opening or closing them does change the pressure .
This again is a long shot but worth checking out.