Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

Just replaced the ballcock on the toilet. When I first

Customer Question
Hi, just replaced the...

Hi, just replaced the ballcock on the toilet. When I first turned the water on the top part of the tube shot up ad water shot Keeny manufacturing.

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

I was trying to replace it because the toilet kept running. So I was able to fix it I didn't have the locking ring in place. Now when I turn the water on nothing happens. The tank doesn't fill with water.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

We're already working on it. The ball cock is in place, the lock ring is set, the shaft is all the way down, and now it doesn't fill with water

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I don't think so. Obviously I've never done this before. So I don't know what it's actually supposed to do. I'm thinking the small tube is supposed to fill the center park and then the tank fills with water. But no water is coming through the ball cock

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Plumbing
9/30/2017
Plumber: Rick, Construction Supervisor replied 10 months ago
Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

If this isn't a low profile 1 piece tilet I'd get rid of the ballcock you have an install a FluidMaster. They are inexpensive, reliable and widely availabe.

I already bought and replaced the ballcock

I get that but they one you have is obviously defective and an brand I've never heard of.

I just don't understand why the water isn't filling the tank. Is something clogged? Should something be removed for The water to flow? The ball cock is in the lowest position. Does it have to be up in a couple of clicks? It has to be something simple. It can't be this complicated
Aren't they all kind of based on a simple concept?

More or less but the old float style has been abandoned for the most part in favor of the FluidMaster type. You could pull the head/top off your unt and try flushing it out

Ok. We'll try that

If that doesn't work I'd get a FluidMaster.

I figured out what needed to be done. There's a plastic screw on the top. This has to be adjusted along with the float ball

Ok