Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

My dishwasher drain hose has a loop on the side of the

Customer Question
My dishwasher drain hose...

My dishwasher drain hose has a loop on the side of the dishwasher, and then is attached to a hose that goes through the floor into the basement where it is hooked up to a pea trap. Tonight we noticed water in the bottom of the dishwasher. I checked the drain strainers to make sure nothing was blocking it. We tried putting it on drain cycle, heard the pump come on but the water did not drain. So I pulled the dishwasher out, disconnected the drain hose and put it into a large pot. I then turned on the dishwasher to drain and the water pumped out fine into a pan. I think this means there is an airlock in the line going down through the floor that is connected to the pea trap. Am I correct, and how do i get rid of it. The house was built in 1982, we just bought it. I have no idea how this particular drain is vented through the roof or what else is connected to it. There does not seem to be a problem with the kitchen sink which is separately connected to the drain line.

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your dishwasher? And have you run a diagnostic test cycle?

The dishwasher drains as long as the hose is not connected to the drain pipe i put it in a big kettle. Turned it on and the pump pumped the water out of the bottom of the dishwasher quite nicely its a kitchen aid

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

KDTE104ESS0\

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I dont think so. All i want to know is how to clear an air lock or should i put a studer vent on the line the line goes into the basement and there is a drop ceiling in that area so it accessible

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Plumbing
9/30/2017
Plumber: Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor replied 10 months ago
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

Hi .......how far away is the dishwasher from the kitchen sink?.............does the basement drain go below the grade?

The dishwasher is not hooked up to the kitchen sink. It has a separate drain line that goes through the floor to the basement where it is connected to a drain line with a separate pea trap, and after the pea trap it is connected to a main drain line. The house is on septic, so the drain pipes go down much further. The basement is on nine or ten foot forms.

I would try putting a tail piece on the kitchen drain before your "P" trap and a Pro-Vent ....... and see if that solves the problem.......it may be a simple test and fix.........by going into the basement I'm not sure if you now need an ejector pump ..........the septic system is clear?..........any blockages.....slow drains......any smell of sewer gasses escaping?

Sir, I don't think you get it. It is NOT hooked up to the kitchen drain directly. I have pictures The kitchen drain has two pea traps, one for each side of the sink. The PVC drain pipe then goes below the floor and comes to a Y. The other side of the Y is a straight pipe and then a pea trap. The top of the pea trap has an adapter for a black rubber hose that then goes up thru the floor and is connected to the drain line from the dishwasher.I can pour water down the hose and it drains without a problem. but when the dishwasher hose is attached making an airtight connection, the water will not go down it. There is no ejector pump in the basement. The line to the septic system is below the slab. The house is on a hill. This has nothing do with the plumbing of the rest of the house, or even the sink. If I take that adapter off of the pea trap that connects the rubber house, there will be water in the pea trap but that is it. Air is trapped in that line. That is why when I pour water down it, it drains fine, but the line between the drain pump of the dishwasher is airtight. IT IS AIRLOCKED.