Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

We had a new gas 50 gallon Bradford water heater installed…

Customer Question
We had a new gas...
We had a new gas 50 gallon Bradford White water heater installed yesterday and now the hot water has a strong petroleum-like odor. The plumber says it is probably the solder flux. At his suggestion, we ran the hot water into a tub for over an hour to flush it out but it still smells. What might be causing this? Is it a health hazard? What should be done? Thanks.
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Plumbing
9/26/2017
Plumber: Rick, Construction Supervisor replied 10 months ago
Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

What you describe is unusual and a nuisance but not necessarily hazardous. It's likely casued by oil clinging to the tank from the manuafacturing process. That said I wouldn't wash dishes as long as this persists. Washing clothes may also be problematic. I'd suggest you turn the heater back to pilot and continue to flush it for another hour or 2. If the problem persists contact Bradfors White directly at(###) ###-####/p>

Do you have more questions?