Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

This is a second opinion question: Can't get my toilet tank…

Customer Question
This is a second opinion...
This is a second opinion question:
Can't get my toilet tank to stop leaking after replacing valve.
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Plumbing
9/23/2017
Plumber: Rick, Construction Supervisor replied 11 months ago
Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your

issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of your situation. Where exactly is it leaking? into the bowl? on the floor? which valve did you replace? flush valve? fill valve?

Thanks for taking the time to help, I replaced the water inlet vave. I originally used on that has the float on the plastic shaft, but didn't like the way that one worked, so I got another one, old style ballcock valve and it works great. Only problem is it has a very slow leak from where the supply line connects into the threaded bottom of the valve. There is water above the supply line nut so I am assuming that it is coming from the tank rather than the supply line hose fitting. I took it apart after initial install (because it was leaking), and made sure there wasn't any debris I had overlooked with the first install. Any suggestion would be helpfule, thanks Rick!

I'd replace the supply tube with a new braided supply

did that, forgot to mention.

Did you try tightening the nut with a pair of pliers? We always go up to 1 turn beyond hand tight with pliers.

I did on the upper nut that tightens to the tank, just hand tight on the supply line nut, since there is water abobe that I figured it was coming from the upper nut holding the valve in the tank.

The leak is at the tank? If so is the heavy rubber washer under the base of the fill valve inside the tank in good shape?

Well it is brand new, except it was installed once, uninstalled and reinstalled. Other than that, brand new

Then if the inside of the tank is clean and the washer is good and the locknut is tight the only thing left is a flaw in the fill valve

I'll pull it all apart, double check everything and get back to you when I am done, thanks

ok