Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

I noticed when i got home, the water in my apartment,

faucets, shower, made a hissing...
I noticed when i got home, the water in my apartment, faucets, shower, made a hissing noise and sputtered before kicking on after a few minutes. I guess they turned off the water for my building while they were working on something. Do I just turn on the Fossetts and let them run for a minute but it safe? How do I know if there's any danger using the water
9/20/2017
Billy
Billy, Mechanical Contractor

My name is Billy. You are likely correct that water was off for a service/repair.

You will want to go to each fixture and open faucets on both hot and cold for 30 seconds.

You will also want to unscrew the filter screens on kitchen and bathroom faucets and wash out.

If you have any issue at all please return back to this thread. But a good 30 second purge per fixture should suffice.

Billy

Why do I have to wash out the filter screens? So there won't be any germs in there or in the water itself? What is the biggest danger?

No germs..but sediment is likely from the water being shut down. It is very common for grit to come through for a few seconds after service...by cleaning the screens you will keep a steady uniform supply of water.

There is no danger at all....maybe inconvenience of a partially plugged screen...but no danger.

Billy
Billy, Mechanical Contractor