Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

Have a bradfordwhite MI403S6CX12 with a leak seemingly

Customer Question
Have a bradfordwhite MI403S6CX12...

Have a bradfordwhite MI403S6CX12 with a leak seemingly coming from top hot side (though seeping out of both collar/cutouts for inlet/outlet). I have not taken the 'top' off. On the hot water side (I believe) instead of a straight pipe out we are threaded immediately to a sideways 'tee' with 'north' dead-ending on a large plug (and west going to in-house hot side plumbing) - The plug on the 'north' end of the sideways 'T' is what looks like might be be an outlet intigrated annode (if such a thing exists) with a plastic cover. What I want to know is, is my guess about an intigrated outlet/annode correct? also if it corrodes would it leak? I ask because the hot water outlet appears to be a copper pipe and if the annode was inside the copper pipe how would it's corrosion cause a leak?

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

I am a for-free visitor at the house and have ben here a week, it has probably leaked 20 gallons in that time. initially I was told the leak was something else and 2 plumber visits focused on a toilet flange replacement that I had trouble verifying was ever the source.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I am trying to determine if it is within my scope. I certanly can resolve most simple issues (and can safely disassemble/reassemble) but I need to head out in the morning.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The seepage is coming out of the top, not coming out of the plug. Ihave looked at the manuals and it isnt very clear... I think the drawings are leaving out some detail ..

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Plumbing
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/19/2017
Plumber: WCohn, Journeyman Plumber replied 9 months ago
WCohn
WCohn, Journeyman Plumber

My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

I'll bet this is a tank failure. Can you load some pics?

Thanks Wade. Just looking for some guidance. I will upload so pictures if it is useful.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B63Ox_HAIGAzTjZYbXo1SWNUcTA/view?usp=drivesdk hmm I guess that is cold side, not hot.

That's definitely a tank failure. You need a new water heater

Please leave me a five star rating

Given that I am a Sternman on a fishing boat and moving away to a new state, I won't be gifting my aunt a new water heater. But I do want to be sure there is nothing I can do here. So it is definitely a tank failure because the annode is intigrated into the ?inlet?oulet? on top of the tee and had that been leaking (from above) that would have been a reparable - but sunce it is leaking from under the top and there is no /independent/ annode it has to be a tank failure?

Yes. That's correct

If you have no further questions please leave me a five star rating