WCohn
WCohn, Journeyman Plumber
Experience:  Journeyman Plumber/Estimator
6211579

We have a rotten egg smell near one of the walls in our

We have a rotten egg smell near one of the walls in our living room. This area is the wall that is next to our neighbor in our town home. This area in the living room is not near, adjacent to, or above any bathrooms in our home, and no underground piping runs underneath it because we have a finished basement that it is above. Is it possible that this is still a sewer gas leak? Can you have a sewer gas leak in an area that isn't really near any of your bathrooms? Can piping still run through those walls? It smells very strongly and the smell is getting stronger.

My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

I've been doing this a long time and I wouldn't describe any sewer smell I've smelt sat rotten egg. Can you think of another way of describing it or is it really that sulfur like?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It does smell like sulfur
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It might even remind you of the smell of your grandma's hair perm that she used to get.

Well perms smell of ammonia. And urine contains ammonia does that smell like ammonia

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It could possibly smell of ammonia, but it doesn't smell like urine. It definitely leans more towards the sulfur smell, but I guess I don't really know what ammonia smells like.

You can do a smoke test on the sewer system. It involves plugging the sewer main and then climbing on roof and capping the vents except one. Then putting a gopher smoke bomb in a shop vac and using the blow feature to blow the smoke into the sewer system

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay, so would it make sense for that smell to be just in the living room then?

It can come from any drain OR vent line in the system and if a vent runs up the wall and is cracked then it will stink

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ah okay, I thought it had to just be run by the bathrooms. How much does that usually cost to fix a cracked pipe like that? Is it very dangerous?