ApplianceTech
ApplianceTech, Home Improvement Enthusiast
Experience:  35+year experience in business
20893398

My insinkerator stopped. I pushed the button at bottom now

Customer Question

my insinkerator stopped. I pushed the button at bottom now when switched on there is a buzzing noise like the motor is seized up
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: I'm not sure who installed this one. When I turn on the motor just buzzes like it is siezed up
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: do you know a tech. I can ring to help
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  ApplianceTech replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thanks for using JA!

If the motor id buzzing, there is a chance that the motor is seized up.

There is a hole in the middle of the motor on the bottom that fits the jamb wrench that came with the unit. If you dont have the wrench, you can use a "Allen" wrench 5/16 " To insert into the hole in the bottom.

Once in give it a turn back and forth if your can and it should start running again. If you cant turn it, then most likely the motor seal is gone and you will have to buy a new disposer.

If you have any other questions, I will have to continue tommorow.

Just let me know.

Don

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thanks for your advice. I think you were asking too much . I have had it fixed,a piece of plastic had stopped the motor, it was removed , all ok. Mal Baird

Glad to hear you got it fixed.

That is a problem with a chat, a lot gets missed through words instead of conversation. Your description sounded exactly like a seized disposer and we never got a chance to get into the problem in detail.

Thanks for using JA!

Don