Plumbing

Plumbing Questions? Ask a Plumber and Get Answers ASAP.

Plumbing

I just bought and had installed a BW Combicore water heater.

Customer Question
This replaced a 17 year...
I just bought and had installed a BW Combicore water heater. This replaced a 17 year old BW CombiCore in my house. I did have an advance system on my "old" water heater to quickly deliver hot water through out the house. When the new water heater was installed, the "old system" was retained, however i'm not receiving hot water unless i run the hotter faucet in the shower,etc, for 5 minutes or so.
JA: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?
Customer: I've had the "new" water heater for about two weeks. It's cold water to wash hands, dishes, clothes and showers. My wife is not happy if that's any indication on severity.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: no.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: That's it
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Plumbing
9/9/2017
Plumber: Rick, Construction Supervisor replied 3 months ago
Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your

issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of your situation.

It sounds like you may have (had) a recirculation system and possibly the re-circ pump isn't working which wouldn't be surprising if it's 17 years old. Do you now have a re-circulation line/system?

i have a recirculation line. where would the re-circ pump be located?

It's usually near the tank on a traditional system(more likely with an older system). Typically the return line goes into the bottom of the tank.

i have two lines identified located towards base of water heater.
can i send you a picture?

Click on ADD FILES next ot the SEND button to post a pic here

Users/Jay/Desktop/IMG_0639.JPGlet me know if pic is clear.

I don't see a pic only an abbreviated file name. Click on the link below it may be more helpful
http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

Ok, I see a pic but it's much to tightly framed. I need a pic of the entire tank and the piping near it. Give me more than 1 if you can't get it all in 1 shot.

OK, I see what looks like a return line but no pump which would normally be on the branch of the TEE where the 2 lines connect into the bottom of the tank. Either they didn't put a pump back or it's someplace else (no way for me to know whwere). Actually ther would have to be 2 pumps, one on each branch. You could follow/trace those lines the go into the bottom of the tank and see if you can fnd them. If you don't find anything then you need to install a pump and a check valve on the common branch into the base of the tank.

Rick
Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor