Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

McLein Weil furnace won't light up. Gas Kitchen stove lights…

Customer Question
McLein Weil furnace won't light...
McLein Weil furnace won't light up. Gas Kitchen stove lights up. Condenser pan empty. Exhaust pipe open. Solid green light.
I tried shutting the unit off from electrical and gas supply for 15 minutes, then restarting. No dice
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Plumbing
9/9/2017
Plumber: Rick, Construction Supervisor replied 8 months ago
Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your

issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of your situation.

What model boiler do you have? what type of radiation? copper baseboard? cast iron baseboard? radiators? hot water coil in air handler?

Model 1013-200
Radiator heat
Separate from a/c unit
Sorry. Boiler model
GV90+5
Integrated boiler control model 1013-200
Also have a 3-zone switching relay model SR 503 TACO
Power light solid green
Start circuit light solid red

Ok are any of the zone lights lit on the relay?

2 zone lights lit on relay
1 for heat
1 for hot water

Is the draft/exhaust fan running on the boiler? what LED's are lit flashing on the boiler control?

We just had a power interruption a couple days ago. We haven't used heat yet this fall.

Ok, I need you to answer my last 2 questions

any flashing LED's on the boiler control?

I don't believe The exhaust motor is running but when I cut off electric supply I can hear a faint electric motor shut off.On the integrated power control, the power light is solid green and the start cirq light is solid red
No flashing leds anywhere

Turn the power off to the boiler wait a minute then turn it back on. Tell me what LED's lgiht up or flash. Does the exhaust fan start? does the limit LED flash or light up?

Power and start circ lights on solid immediatelyNo other lights come onNot 100% sure about exhaust fan but I see a lot or attached to exhaust pipe which is not running.I do hear some faint motor running when it powers up
I don't see a "purge" ledThere is a "flame" LED and a "pres switch" LED and a "limit" LED in addition to the other two I mentioned but none of these three light up
There are no flashing LEDs anywhere

Faint motor could be circulators running. The exhuast vent is connected to the draft/exhaust fan. The purge LED is on an earlier version of this control. If the fan doesn't run nothing else will happen. You need a multi-meter to troubleshoot this further. Do you have one?

Not 100% sure about exhaust fan but I see a *motoor attached to exhaust pipe which is not running.
motor

Ok, awaiting response to my last post

I don't have a multimeter. What specs do i need to look for on a multimeter when I get one ?

Any multi-meter will do the job. You need to test AC voltage. The possible culprits are a bad fan or a bad control. If you have 120 volts AC to the fan then the fan is bad and you should probably leave this repair to a pro who is familair with this boiler. If there is no voltage to the fan (when power and circ LED's lit) then you probably have a bad control. I suspect a bad control because you should have at least a flashing LIMIT LED at this stage.

OK it may take me an hour or so to get a hold of a multimeter should we just leave this conversation open in the meantime ?

The thread won't go away and I'll answer related follow up questions even after you rate me favorably. I'd appreciate a favorable rating.

Let's get this job done. Then we talk about ratings.

All I can do is walk you through the troubleshooting which I've done. I can't gurantee an outcome if you do the work. I do take breaks. I'll respond as soon as I can when you get back

Understood

I'll respond as soon as I can when you get back.

Ok I'm back and I have a multimeter

Then set your meter to 200 volts AC scale (or similar) and unplug the fan connector leads at the control and probe the W & B terminals. Do ths after cycling the power off then on again and after the circ LED is lit. I'll be back in about an hour

Meter can be sen to 150 ACV or 250 ACV
Meter can be set to 150 ACV or 250 ACV

Either one will work.

Do you have more questions?

Are you still with me??

I already got help from somebody else after you signed off as I was trying to test the current to the fan motor

I never "signed off". I spent a considerable amout of time with you and provided all the info you needed to trouble shoot this. I'd appreciate a favorable rating.

Rick
Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor