Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

I had a plumber visit the other day, determined I need a new…

Hello I had a...

Hello I had a plumber visit the other day, determined I need a new expansion tank for my hot water heater

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

It's 5 years old, and he said also that the pipes going to it need replacing because it was neglected. I noticed a drip from the long pipe where air comes out about a year ago, and thought it was condensation. I put a bowl under it and the drip was very infrequent. the entire system is only 5 years old. he told me 450 for parts. BS.... lol

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I will not, but will buy the parts myself and pay the labor. I am trying to figure out if I am being cornswaggled!lol. how do I know if I need more parts other than a new tank?

Answered in 1 minute by:
8/21/2017
WCohn
WCohn, Journeyman Plumber

My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

He's correct about the expansion tank. I'd replace the to supply lines to the heater as well. Not any other plumbing thought

ok, what ball park pricing should I expect?
typing is good for me pleas, no convo needed :-)

Sorry for delay I was driving. We here in Oregon charge $275

Would that be for all parts and labor? Tank and supply libes?

Yes

Thank you for your time!

No problem please rate me 5 stars

Can i ask also, WHY is it necessary to replace the supply line?

We always replace them because they are a common source of leaks. Seals dry out

Last question, what percent of the job/labor is replacing supply lines of the entire job?

10-15%

WCohn
WCohn, Journeyman Plumber