Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

We are time Just Answer users; great service. -- We recently…

Hello. We are long time...
Hello. We are long time Just Answer users; great service. -- We recently needed to have our hot water heater changed. The plumber removed the basic State 40 gallon natural gas normal atmospheric vent heater, and installed a similar unit with the brand name Lochinvar. It heats the water fine. But there seems to be a lot of air (or gas) in the hot water system. When you open a hot water tap, water comes out, but it spurts and kicks and releases air pressure, somewhat violently at times. This does not seem to be subsiding. And it only affects hot, not cold. What is causing this, and what is the remedy? (If it might matter, we are on a well that serves a historic main home and a small guest house. Each house has it's own pressure tank, sediment pre-filter, iron filter, and softener, plus drinking water system. The hot water spurting problem is only in the guest house, and again, only on hot water after changing the hot water tank. A couple years ago we replaced the old State hot water heater in the main house with another State unit, and had no such issues.). Thanks.
8/20/2017
Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

It's normal for there to be air in the tank initialy. This should have been vented out by the plumber as part of the installation. If he didn't that could explain the problem. You can try letting the hot water run for several minutes until it stops spitting air. If that doesn't solve the problem then the source of the air could be from the water supply, possibly a failing holding tank. If your system has an aeration system (to elminate sulfur dioxide/rotten egg smell) that's another potential culprit. It may just be showing up in the the hot water due to how the system is configured.

Hi Rick. Nice to see you again. The onset of this hot water air problem was directly correlated with the replacement of the hot water tank, and it has never been an issue before at either house. So, we do suspect it's just getting the air out of the tank. -- In your experience/thinking, would it be preferable to run the air out fast or slow, or doesn't matter? I can run 1-2 gpm by opening a faucet, or 7-8 gpm by opening up the washtub faucet fully. Thanks

Doesn't matter how slow or fast you do it. The only objective is to get rid of it.

Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
I ran it out hard for several minutes, and the air issue seems to have resolved. If it comes back, I will try this once more, and then look at other possible culprits. Thanks, ***** ***** Sunday.

You're welcome